Northampton, MA — Today, the eighth Dunlop Men's College Squash Association Team Rankings of the season were released.
After Rochester’s 5-4 victory over Trinity, the top five ranking positions changed. Three separate ranking triangles formed:
- Triangle 1: Trinity (defeated St. Lawrence 7-2, lost to Rochester 4-5 — 11 total wins), St. Lawrence (defeated Rochester 6-3, lost to Trinity 2-7 — 8 total wins, winner of head-to-head tie breaker with Rochester), and Rochester (defeated Trinity 5-4, lost to St. Lawrence 3-6 — 8 total wins)
- Triangle 2: Trinity (defeated Columbia 7-2, lost to Rochester 4-5 — 11 total wins), Rochester (defeated Trinity 5-4, lost to Columbia 4-5 — 9 total wins), and Columbia (defeated Rochester 5-4, lost to Trinity 2-7 — 7 total wins)
- Triangle 3: Trinity (defeated Yale 8-1, lost to Rochester 4-5 — 12 total wins), Rochester (defeated Trinity 5-4, lost to Yale 3-6 — 9 total wins), and Yale (defeated Rochester 6-3, lost to Trinity 1-8 — 7 total wins)
According to the CSA ranking rules, in this situation, the individual matches won are used to break the tie. Trinity won each of the triangles, so they remain at the #1 position. St. Lawrence defeated Rochester in their head-to-head meeting, so the Saints remain at #2. Since Rochester finished second in both the Trinity/Rochester/Columbia and Trinity/Rochester/Yale triangles, the Yellowjackets move to #3. With their victory over Yale, Columbia takes #4.
Middlebury moved to 17th in the rankings with their victory over Bates.
Northeastern jumps to 36th after defeating Colgate.
Fordham and Richmond assume the 47th and 48th positions after defeating Charleston.
Davidson debuts at 60th, and Vanderbilt and Notre Dame switch positions this week.
Teams are reminded that to qualify for the National Team Championships, they must meet minimum match requirements:
- Varsity teams are required to play ten (10) matches against other CSA teams to enter team championships. At minimum, each team should have at least 6 different opponents. Varsity teams should play the majority of their matches against other varsity schools.
- Club teams are required to play eight (8) matches against other CSA teams to enter team championships in a 9 player division. In addition, club teams must play at least four (4) matches between January 1st and February 10th. At minimum, each team should have at least five (5) different opponents.
For a regular season match to officially count for ranking purposes, each team must have at least seven players. Except for Emerging Teams, matches with less than seven players per team will not count towards the required number of matches for entry into the National Team Championships.
Below are the Dunlop Men's College Squash Association Team Rankings as of January 25, 2014. Listed after each school’s name is their previous ranking.
- Trinity College (1)
- St. Lawrence University (2)
- Rochester, University of (5)
- Columbia University (3)
- Yale University (4)
- Harvard University (6)
- Cornell University (7)
- Princeton University (8)
- Franklin and Marshall College (9)
- Pennsylvania, University of (10)
- Dartmouth College (11)
- Drexel University (12)
- Brown University (13)
- Naval Academy (14)
- Williams College (15)
- George Washington University (17)
- Middlebury College (19)
- Bates College (16)
- Western Ontario, University of (18)
- Wesleyan University (20)
- Colby College (21)
- Amherst College (22)
- Hobart College (23)
- Bowdoin College (24)
- Hamilton College (25)
- Connecticut College (26)
- Stanford University (27)
- Virginia, University of (28)
- Georgetown University (29)
- Bucknell University (30)
- Johns Hopkins University (31)
- Tufts University (32)
- MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) (33)
- Denison University (34)
- Lehigh University (35)
- Northeastern University (39)
- Colgate University (36)
- Boston College (37)
- Bryant University (38)
- Boston University (40)
- New York University (41)
- Chicago, University of (44)
- Northwestern University (42)
- Haverford College (43)
- Washington University (St. Louis) (45)
- Miami, University of (46)
- Fordham University (49)
- Richmond, University of (50)
- Charleston, College of (47)
- Pennsylvania State University (48)
- Washington, University of (51)
- Swarthmore College (52)
- California Berkeley, University of (53)
- Minnesota, University of (54)
- Dickinson College (55)
- Southern California (USC), University of (56)
- Vassar College (57)
- Siena College (58)
- Bard College (59)
- Davidson College (NR)
- Vanderbilt University (61)
- Notre Dame, University of (60)
- Sewanee: University of the South (62)
- Vermont, University of (63)
- Duke University (64)
- Oregon, University of (65)
- Lafayette College (66)
- North Carolina, University of (67)